Have you seen South Sound Magazine has the Best of the South Sound 2018 edition out? I appreciate the magazine put this out every year as I enjoy seeing the places that are considered the best from the community. When the time comes that I need an auto detail or florist (or whatnot), I often check out what is listed in Best of the Sound South. It at least gives me a starting place to what might be a good option. Usually, I take it a step further and go to Yelp and ask friends, too.
Although I don't know if I love admitting it, I am a foodie as well. Is there a bad rep for foodies? I hope now. I'm a nice foodie. Anyway, it's true so I must admit it. And I am always on the lookout for new, cool restaurants. I even follow Sue Kidd TNT Diner on Facebook and get all the latest on what's coming and going with restaurants. But here's the funny yet sad catch to my foodie life: I'm a foodie that doesn't get out to eat much (hello, toddler). Ha! But we do take-out and date-nights, so there's that at least.
When I started thinking about doing this blog. I originally wanted to focus on how Tacoma is growing and check out all the new places and write my thoughts on them. Then reality hit that doing all that with a toddler isn't going to be so easy. I like where I took this blog instead, but now you know I have a love of food.
Given all this, of course, I have my own opinion on the restaurants. I agreed with some but shook my head at some others. I thought you might like to hear what some of my favorites are instead. I'm sticking to the restaurant list only. Here goes nothing.
P.S. BOSS = Best of the South Sound
Breakfast / Brunch
- BOSS: Shakabrah
- My Pick: Netshed No. 9 in Gig Harbor. I love their pancake and cinnamon rools! Plus, the patio dining is so lovely on nice days.
- Runner-Up: Montamara Kitchen. If I want something closer to home, then this is it!
- Consider: Honey Coffee might be "my pick," but we've only been once. Instead I have it unde best new restaurant categorry.
Happy Hour + Dessert + Romantic Dinner
Restaurant + Lunch: Skip
French Fries: Skip
- Comment: This one stumped me for some reason. BOSS says Shake, Shake, Shake, which I think is a good choice.
- BOSS: Silk Thai Cafe
- My Pick: Loak Toung Thai and Royal Thai Bistro. Thai food is my love. Loak Toung is my favorite, but the menu is limited. If you want a full menu, then Royal Thai for sure.
- Comment: Gosh, we haven't been to any Chinese here, yet. We should change that.
- BOSS: Tanglewood Grill
- My Pick: We need BBQ! And definitely not Dickey's BBQ. Definitely, want to check out Tanglewood Grill in Gig Harbor.
- BOSS: Fujiya
- We don't eat a ton of Japanese, usually because it's sushi. See above "sushi" category.
- Want to Try: Moshi Moshi Bar + Ramen
Fine Dining: Skip
- Comment: We haven't really fine dined much here. Maybe say Asado or Primo Grill. I also want to try The Table. If you call those fine dining...
- Comment: We really don't seek out veggie only restaurants. I hear Viva Tacoma is good, though.
Cheap Eats: Skip
- Comment: Hmm, I don't know. We do want to try Memo’s Mexican Food Restaurant.
- BOSS: Corina Bakery
- My Pick: Corina Bakery. Honestly, besides Alegre, is there any other bakeries. Bring us more bakeries!!
- Comment: BOSS says Matador, but we can't go with Caleb and nobody wants nachos to-go.
- Comment: We really should try Frisko Freeze. This summer!